The Cloning Vat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Cloning Vat

40k Meetup Network

Non-Metallic Metallics

The Harbinger
    The Harbinger
    Admin

Non-Metallic Metallics Empty Non-Metallic Metallics

Post  The Harbinger Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Recently, I've had a fair amount of people ask me about non-metallic metallic (also known as NMM) painting. So here are some answers to questions that I'm normally asked.

Q: What is non-metallic metallic painting?
    A: A method of using non-metallic paints to take on the appearance of metal.

Q: Why do you use NMM instead of metal paints? Isn't it easier to use metallic paints?
    A: Yes, it is easier to use metallic paints than paint in the NMM style because it is much, much quicker. But I don't use metallic paints for two reasons. First, metallic paints look unnatural on a small mini. The flecks of metallic paint simply aren't consistent with the metallic flakes found in something that is "to scale". Second, most people have a hard time concentrating on the metallic paints and the "flat" paints simultaneously. Instead, their eyes focus on one or the other and keeps you from being able to enjoy the model in it's entirety.

Q: Do I have to make the lighting source consistent throughout the NMM found on the model?
    A: No, it will still generally look better than a metallic paint even if the painted lighting source isn't consistent. It just looks better if you make it so.

Q: Do I always have to blend with NMM?
    A: No. Layering is generally just as effective, and at times better than blending to create NMM.

Here is an example of my early work with NMM (although I realize it isn't 40k):

Non-Metallic Metallics Img_2011 Non-Metallic Metallics Img_2010

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm